As the excitement grows from the prospects that fiber optic cables offer in East Africa, many people are wondering how they can use this new tool to stimulate business growth in the region. Fiber optic laying by companies such as Seacom and government teams TEAMS has offered life in this part of the world, given the global recession affecting developed countries.
One of the ways in which the government can take advantage of this tool is outsourcing. Cheap outsourcing labor will lead to a global recession in Kenya’s favor, as most companies in the West will turn to East Africa. Unfortunately, so far the Kenyan government has seen the pros of fiber optic cable. So how else can a business take advantage of this great opportunity?
- First, the cost of the internet connection will be lower. Starting a broadband business is a safe and direct way to make money. Even with traditional dial-up Internet connections, many companies do not have broadband services. Having personal packages for individuals would also increase income. Using this market is a sure money maker.
- E-Commerce Businesses – With the fast speed of the internet, launching an e-commerce venture will be an ideal business project. As more people will have access to a fast and cheap internet connection, the viability of the e-commerce start-up market is viable. Now with mobile money transfers like M-Pesa from Safaricom and ZAP services from Zain, online transactions will not face many challenges. So go ahead and create your online store!
- Online Applications – With the expected rapid use of the Internet, developing online applications will be a difficult but very lucrative time to cut millions. Over 90% of the applications we use are foreign. These include web browsers (Mozilla, Explorer), file transfer tools, emails for social networks (Facebook, MySpace) (Yahoo Mail, Gmail, Hotmail). Breaking into this sector will be difficult, but then the rewards will be worth it.
- Start a web hosting company – Having servers in Kenya will start to make sense. With high-speed Internet lines, companies can now offer websites to end users and let them manage their own servers.
- Start an online consulting service – Do you specialize in any field? Art, medicine, nutrition, etc. You can create a website that offers free user advice while monetizing it with Google AdSense or an affiliate program and making money!
There are many local hosting companies that provide such services. They are cheap and easy to manage. So wake up and join this new emerging market for East Africa.